Saturday, February 21, 2009

System Saving Money and Pay-Off Projections

The $2000 Federal tax credit this year is the first obvious benefit, and I look forward to future tax credits (30% up to $2000) when I install additional vacuum tube arrays.

But, in the long term, saving on the cost of propane was the goal. My average usage for propane 2005 to 2007 was 1150 gallons. I installed the collection system last summer. My usage for 2008 dropped to 1180 gallons, and the system only began saving me propane the last half of the year. Winter temps have not been exceptional.

More accurate data will take time to produce, but it is not overly optimistic to expect my propane usage to drop to 700 gallons per year. A savings of 450 at $2 a gallon is $900. After tax credit cost of the system was $10,000 dollars, so I am still over a 10 year pay-off.

Installation of an additional 30 tube array should only cost (after tax credit) about $2400, and should further reduce propane usage by at least 200 gallons, shortening the pay-off to below the 10 year mark.

No comments: