Saturday, February 21, 2009

Exploring Possibilities for Savings

The boiler system is presently configured to start at 6AM, and heat up the DHW tank and provide heat to the floors. It shuts down at 7PM

On sunny days, the collectors begin heating water at 9AM, and by 10:30, the DHW tank is usually up to temp. On week days, I shower at 4:30 AM, and there is still ample hot water in the 80 gallon tank. My wife showers at 6:30, so I have the boiler start at 6AM to make sure she does not run out of hot water. There is still a lot of residual heat left in the tank, even after my shower, all resulting in less propane usage needed. So, there is probably not much savings available (let alone the risk of having my wife running out of hot water) with changes to the DHW system.

What may help with propane savings, is to not let the boiler bring the in-floor heating system up to temp until 10:30, so that the solar collection system has a chance to heat up the capacity tank.

No comments: